rss
twitter

Timeline for Facebook Pages – Love it or Hate it

| Posted in Facebook, Social Networking |

Timeline for PagesChange is good! But too much change too quickly and radically can really overwhelm even the most experienced marketer, as well may be the case with the new Facebook Timeline for Pages.

If you haven’t been living under a rock you’ve heard about all the changes Facebook made in recent weeks. Actually, I heard there were somewhere around 90 changes in the last 60 days alone. Now that’s a TON!

The biggest change obviously is the new Timeline for Pages.

Well, as a matter of fact the early release of the new Timeline for Pages was even a surprise for Facebook Guru Mari Smith. I am following Mari’s new course “Extreme Fanbase Growth” trying to immediately implement what I learn.

But sometimes life gets in the way and since I was a little late in (finally) implementing a “Welcome Tab” on my Facebook Page it bit me in the butt. Because, now it’s obsolete.

Imagine that! No more like-gating!

Darn it!  Well, so much for procrastination!

I really don’t mind Facebook rolling out the “Timeline for Pages” early though. Honestly, I was looking forward to it because now that I have gotten used to it I really like that interface on the Personal Profile Pages. I just didn’t expect it so soon.

(And it really messed up my blog posting schedule as well, because now I’m scrambling to get my ducks in order before March 30th when the new Timeline for Pages becomes mandatory.)

Timeline for Brand Pages

Don’t you just love it? Every time you think you’re up-to-date on Facebook and you have a little breathing room they smack you with another update you have to take care of.

But anyway, there’s nothing you or I can do about it short of leaving Facebook altogether. And with 845.000.000 users, half of which log in on a daily basis, I’m not ready to discard Facebook as a marketing tool. Are you?

I have been on several lengthy webinars since last week with one more to go tomorrow by one of my favorite Facebook Ninjas, Amy Porterfield. Gosh, I’m so glad I bought her course “FBinfluence” because I get lifetime updates.

Here are some very important points I learned about the new Timeline for Pages …

_ Absolutely NO Calls to Action in your Timeline Cover Image. You can get in big trouble and lose your account. So, no phone numbers, email addresses, URLs, ect. (As a matter of fact, I will have to edit my timeline cover images for my Personal Profile page now because I do have my web address in there.) Oh, and no arrows either!

_ No more like-gating on the new Timeline for Pages. (I already mention that above.) Visitors land on your timeline by default now. Some people are not happy about this because they are losing a great opportunity for opt-ins. However there are ways around this because custom tabs are still available and you now can even create a custom image for your tabs which helps with drawing attention to them.

_ More Space to Show Off Your Pictures. Instead of only having 520 pixels available in the past you now have 810 pixels available to really make a statement. Facebook wants us to design our Pages as if it was our primary hub. It also wants to make Pages more social proof oriented.

It’s all about pictures. Pictures tell stories and now you have more space to tell your stories or show your videos. And of course pictures and videos are GREAT for EdgeRank because they get more likes, comments and shares.

There is so much more that I could share from what I have learned during these mammoth sessions but this post is getting quite long already.

Update: I have recently purchased Rosh Khan’s FanPage Simplified  which is “The Most Complete Step-by-Step Professional Training System for the New Facebook Fan Page Timeline Layout.” And…it comes with some amazingly cool FREE Fan Page Cover Images. So you don’t have to design one from scratch.

But if that is not enough,  here a couple of websites where you can get more of the scoop…

7 New Facebook Changes Impacting Businesses

8 Things Businesses Need To Know About Timeline for Facebook Pages

28 Things You Need To Know About The New Facebook Pages

I hope this post about the new Timeline for Facebook Pages was helpful to you.

You know I always love your feedback, so please leave your comments below.

To Your Massive Success!

The Enlightened Networker

Bookmark and Share

facebook comments:

Comments (39)

Going over end of the month to get my babe. They FINALLY approved my taking time off to go get her!

Just another reason I move towards working from home 100%!

Facebook sometimes make me grouchy with so many changes over so short a time sometimes, but maybe it is good for me, too. LOL. → Lots of changes about to take place!

Anyways, as always, thanks for an awesome post.

Tim
Tim Singleton invites you to read..MLM Business Plan: Yes, You Need One.My Profile

Reply:

Good for you, Tim! You must be so excited :)

Yeah, sometimes I get grouchy too. Especially if I just spend hours (or days) on fixing something and then it’s changed.

What was funny… On the live webinar with Mari Smith yesterday she was trying to show us something that had just changed within the last couple of days and she had to find out, …it had changed AGAIN.

So, that’s probably a good reason NOT to rush into publishing your new Facebook Timeline for Pages until the very last minute.

Hey, take care and be blessed!

[Reply]

Bookmarking your page Ilka!

It sure was an informative post, soemthing that I had been reading on a lot of blogs past so many days! I know I also need to head right over and change to Timeline before the end of the month, guess just taking my own sweet time :)

I read about Timeline first of course at Adrienne’s blog, and later at so many other places, which kept reminding me to check it out. However, I prefer remaining in my own comfort zone, rather than going through another change. But when they mentioned that this month end is going to be the deadline, I guess I would have to change over as well.

Just as your post, I have a few more bookmarked, and really soon am going to sit and just DO it :)

Thanks so much for all the valuable information, though I keep wondering as to what kind of image are we allowed to put up and how I would manage doing that :)

Have a nice week ahead and Happy Woman’s Day in advance :)
Harleena Singh invites you to read..How to Nurture the Perfect Woman Within?My Profile

Hey Harleena,

I wasn’t sure if you were talking about your Personal Profile or your Facebook Page so I went and check it out. When I did, I noticed we weren’t even Friends yet on your Personal Profile. Imagine that!

I noticed you are still on the old interface on both your Personal Profile and your Page. The post above is specifically for the PAGE. There are a lot more restrictions about what you can and cannot do on your Page vs your Personal Profile.

As far as pictures on your Personal Profile….You can put up anything you like. You have some beautiful pictures in your Wall Photos album. Just pick any of those. Since the dimensions of the Timeline Cover Image are 851 by 315 pixels not all of the picture may be shown but you can arrange it so your picture looks good.

Now your picture for your timeline cover on your Facebook PAGE comes with restrictions….No web address, no email or phone, no calls to action and no arrows pointing to the “Like” button to entice people to like your page.

There’s no rush, so don’t freak out, you still have about 3 weeks to get your ducks in order.

Let me know if I can be of further help to you :)

Cheers,

Harleena Singh from Freelance Writer
Reply:

I was talking about my Facebook Page for timeline, that I still need to work on.

Regarding my personal profile, I have only family members in that and do we need to convert that to timeline also? I thought Timeline deadline was for Pages alone.

If Timeline is also for the personal page then I need not worry about the pictures as I have enough in store. But I was asking about the pictures that we can really put up on the Facebook Page- what kinds can they really be?

Yes, I do have time, though I still need to learn a lot about it and get started :)

Thanks for helping :)

Hi Harleena,

Don’t worry about your Personal page for now. Eventually however it will roll over to the new Timeline Interface as well. (Don’t know when that will happen for you. Unless you decide to switch over yourself you can just wait your turn. 845 million users is a lot and I guess it will just take time.)

It’s a different story for the 20 million Facebook Brand Pages. The deadline to switch over is 30 March for those.

As far as the cover images….it can be any image. Just make sure there’s no calls to action, no arrows to the like button, no web addresses, physical address, phone numbers or email. Then you should be good to go :)

Don’t sweat it!

Cheers,

Hi Ilka
I have changed to the Timeline for my personal page on Facebook but I had not made a business page yet so I will have to learn all about doing it on the new Timeline for Pages so thanks for sharing this with us today.
I guess I have a lot of reading to do before starting to build my page!
Have a great day
Pauline
Pauline invites you to read..My Ten Best WP PluginsMy Profile

Reply:

Haha, Pauline, join the club :) Between last Thursday and today I was on about half a dozen webinars educating myself about the new Timeline for Pages. There is quite a bit to learn, but don’t worry, you’ll manage.

Can’t wait to see your new Facebook Page. Make sure you send me an invite!

Cheers,

Hi Ilka,

Do you have any idea why they are making so many changes.Well as we don’t decide in their place we just have to follow because we need facebook anyway.

SANDY
Sandy invites you to read..MLM Success Recipe -Impossible To Play The Game Without A TeamMy Profile

Sandy hi,

They are making so many changes ….because they can! They love keeping us on our toes I guess :)

Have an awesome day!

Hey Ilka,
I think Facebook plays the role of a very supportive mother-she just want to take a good care of her 845. 000. 000 “babies”..The luckiest mother in the world..lol :)

Must admit than in the last days I lost contact with Fbk and all the changes they make. Your post came right on time :)
No more like gating..wow, that’s a huge one..many people where generating lots of leads by taking the people directly to the capture page..oh well, I guess we can live with it.

The good part about all the change is that they want to take us in the “engagement zone”..more focuse on building relationships and a sense of community on our pages.
Love the fact that we can use more pictures.

Thanks for sharing Ilka. I enjoyed your post and will take a look to the resources you shared as well.

Be blessed,
Radu
Radu invites you to read..Blog Content Ideas: 40 Simple Ways To Never Run DryMy Profile

Hey Radu,

It’s easy to lose track. We’re all very busy.

Yes, I guess you’re right. Facebook just wants to play “Mother Hen,” lol. And yes, absolutely they want us to engage more. That’s part of the reason they gave us a bigger space to share pictures and videos.

Yep sorry, no more like-gating. But there’s a way around this with the apps. You can use an app and make it like an opt-in page.

I think in the end, after we get past the restrictions, it will all be for the greater good and we’ll have a lot of fun :)

Thanks for stopping by, Radu! Take care,

[Reply]

Oh, I forgot Ilka.. Wish you a Happpy Woman’s Day filled with joy :) And flowers too :)

Reply:

Awww, Radu, you are too sweet! Thanks!

Be blessed,

[Reply]

Good question. A few weeks ago I had just added a new banner to my fanpage and it took me some time to build it and to get the right size LOL etc… So when I saw the announcement, I was not happy. But hey, we have to go with it, so I changed to my new timeline, changed the photos..got used to it, and now I like it.
Birgit Jurock invites you to read..Why I like the new Viral WebcasterMy Profile

Hey Birgit,

Welch Glanz in meiner Huette :) Nice to ‘see’ you here.

Yep, I think it took us all by surprise. Like I said, I finally added my welcome tab and now it’s obsolete. Oh well! ….Hey, great looking Fan Page by the way :)

Thanks for stopping by and make sure you come back!

Cheers,

Hi Ilka,

I never heard the term like-gating – made me giggle :)

It’s interesting that there’s no call to action, no website, no nothing allowed. I guess we’ll have to work that much harder and find more innovative ways to get a slice of those 845 million …

Great article, and thanks for the added resources.
Dee Ankary invites you to read..Is Your Blog Ready For Mobile?My Profile

Hi Dee,

Welcome to my blog! It’s so great to meet you!

Yes, we have to get very creative now…but that’s where the fun begins, right?

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me your great feedback! I appreciate it!

Hi Ilka,

First off, OMG!!! I’m your commenter of the month last month! Well hot dog girl… I’m loving that. I think this is my week for surprises. So darn glad they’ve been good ones this week cause you know the kind of week I had last week. <<>>

Now on to your news. No call to action in the Timeline cover on fan pages? They’re fan pages for goodness sakes. And they did away with the having cover image for people to like your page? So there will no longer me a “like” button? Because if people land on it by default then there is no need to “like” it. I’m not sure I’m liking that at all. Will have to read up some more on this so thanks for adding those additional links.

I really appreciate you giving us the scoop. I knew the big change was coming at the end of this month so now I’m glad I didn’t make any cover photo yet. And I went to all that trouble having my fan page images created too. Dang it!

Thanks Ilka, you’re a life saver.

~Adrienne
Adrienne invites you to read..The Secret Of Making Great YouTube VideosMy Profile

Reply:

Yes, Ms Adrienne, you got the Top Spot. Congratulations! :)

I know, bummer with all those restrictions. But as I know you you will come up with some very creative and innovative ways to beat that.

There still is a “Like” button, Adrienne. It’s right next to the “Messages” button underneath the cover image. You also can get very creative with your apps (especially the custom picture for apps) to direct attention to the “Like” button. I’m sure you’ll figure something out. Just be careful not to break the rules :)

Be blessed,

Hi Ilka,

I like the new changes. They force you to become really good at adding value, and becoming uber attractive, so people will Like, and then opt-in to your site through links.

Makes it a bigger challenge to be creative, but this is good for us free thinkers ;) I like the emphasis on pictures too. Pictures grab the attention like few other mediums, and I am wondering if the crafty Mark Z did this in response to the rise of Pinterest.

Thanks for sharing Ilka!

Ryan
Ryan Biddulph invites you to read..Why You Fail Miserably to Make Money Online and How to Fix ItMy Profile

Hi Ryan,

I agree, with you, and things are becoming increasingly more VISUAL as well. You know, now that you mention it, could be that Mr. Z was inspired by Pinterest.

Thanks so much for your feedback, Ryan! I truly appreciate it!

Hi, Ilka,

Thank you for this very informative post!

I have to get educated before the changes. I do appreciate your service to others!

Happy Blogging and Sharing :)

Viola Tam
Viola Tam invites you to read..“Paradigm Shift” – Lessons Learned from Mark YarnellMy Profile

Hi Viola,

You are so very welcome!

Glad it was helpful to you.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Hi Ilka,

This is great info, half of what I wasn’t aware as up to now :) So, no call to action what so ever on your timeline page? Does that mean that every link we have there has to be removed? Does this mean that you can no longer link a post from your blog on your timeline and have to remove the ones you have?

Can you please, confirm that to me if I am understanding it well :)
Sylviane Nuccio invites you to read..Letting Go Of Negative Emotions – Easier Said Than Done?My Profile

Hi Sylviane,

Glad I could enlighten you. You know, up until about a week ago, I had no clue about all this either.

Yes, no calls to action on your timeline COVER IMAGE. These restrictions only pertain to the image. You can have links in your “About” section as well as on your apps.

Take a look at Mari Smith’s page and you know what I mean: https://www.facebook.com/marismith

And you can absolutely still share your blog posts on your timeline.

Hope this clarifies things :)

Cheers,

Sylviane Nuccio

Great Ilka,

Thanks for clarifying this for me. I got scared for a minute.
Sylviane Nuccio invites you to read..How To Find A Writing Discipline That Doesn’t HurtMy Profile

Reply:

Oh I’m so glad I could straighten that out for you, Sylviane :)

Have an awesome day!

Hi Ilka,

thanks for sharing your insights. Yes, Facebook’s changes can be oberwhelming, but they’re keeping the game interesting, don’t they ?

I also welcome that it’s easier now to showcase photos and especially videos than before. Notably videos were a mess on the old pages.

Be blessed

Oliver
Oliver Tausend invites you to read..How To Promote Your MLM Blog Successfully Part 1My Profile

Hey Oliver,

They sure do! Gosh, it’s hard to keep up :)

I thought you’d like that new feature where you can really make a splash now with your photos and videos. Not that you didn’t before :)

All the best,

[Reply]

I must admit I don’t think I like the new look and feel. However, they’ll probably keep changing things so maybe I won’t need to put up with it for long.
Alan Hands invites you to read..Mar 11, Why I Became A SpammerMy Profile

Alan,

I think you’re in for a surprise. The new timeline will stick for a while. But hey, I didn’t like it in the beginning either so maybe it will grow on you too :)

Thanks so much for your feedback and welcome to my blog! It’s a pleasure to meet you.

[Reply]

Hi Ilka, I’m taking Mari Smith EFG class also, isn’t she great?! I enjoyed Amy’s webinar and Kim’s too. It seems like I’ve been spending a lot of time soaking in all the changes for Facebook’s timeline but I think it’s well worth the investment. I think the Timeline for pages is one of the best changes Facebook has made in a long time. Thanks for sharing the links and I’ll leave my latest post on the topic in CommentLuv.
Chat soon Ilka!
Ileane invites you to read..Ditch the Fake Like Button on Your Facebook TimelineMy Profile

Hey Ileana,

Yes, I thought I saw you pop up in the chat on Mari’s EFG class. Wasn’t that an amazing class? I learned so much and now I’m busy implementing, lol.

Amy’s and Kim’s were awesome as well, I totally agree. I’m kinda a little webinared out now. I need a break.

Hey thanks for stopping by and leaving your feedback! Gotta go check out your post :)

All the best,

[Reply]

I always think that when you can make any profile more personal to you it is always a good thing. However, I am not liking the layout below, I just can’t find anything when I go to my friends profiles, half is on the left and some on the right. It might grow on me but I doubt it, though I would like facebook to become something you can personalize more to your taste.
Samantha invites you to read..Article Writer DevonMy Profile

Hey Ilka,

Thanks for the awesome information!

I am still working on interacting on FB and doing more marketing with it (Earlier, I had just shared content, I didn’t do much with my fan page). But, this time, I hope to fix that mistake.

I guess I should hire a designer from Fiverr to make a cool FB cover :D .

Thanks for the info!

Jeevan Jacob John
Jeevanjacobjohn invites you to read..Is Your Main Page the Landing Page?My Profile

Hi Jeevan,

Facebook is a great place for marketing! With over 845+ million people actually I can’t think of a better one. You can really drill down to your target market as well and you’ve got everything (and everyone) right there at your fingertips.

Don’t know if you’ve checked my sidebar, but there’s a link to “Rosh Khan’s FanPage Simplified.” It’s a fantastic little course with lots of videos that explain the changes to Fan Pages. PLUS it includes some awesome FanPage covers for FREE :)

Thanks for stopping by and adding to the conversation!

Have a great week!

Hi Ilka
Really useful information here – I must admit it has caught me a bit on the hop too and messed up my schedule also! I had to take an unforeseen break from my business for 2-3 weeks and the FB changes caught up with me very fast!

I remember reading a while ago that there would be far less emphasis on the FB page “like” but it would be much more about the FB “shares” instead that would prove so powerful – and this definitely looks to be the way they are going.

Anyway this was great info and great links to other posts too, thanks.
Nicky
Nicky invites you to read..Online Video Marketing–7 Quick Tips for MLM LeadsMy Profile

Hi Nicky,

Yes, this change has caught a lot of people “off guard.” But I believe all these changes are for the better. Facebook is trying to really make it about “building relationships” and I think this is how it should be.

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your great feedback, Nicky! I hope the reason you had to take a break from your business wasn’t too serious and thing are going well again.

Wishing you much continued success!