rss
twitter

Powerful Reasons Why You Should Use Pinterest for Your Marketing – Part ONE

| Posted in Pinterest, Social Networking |

Pinterest for MarketingI attended a power-packed webinar about using Pinterest for marketing last week. Actually, I couldn’t write fast enough and quite frankly I don’t remember the last time I took so many notes. But I wanted to make sure I copied everything down so I could share it with you all.

So, pull up a chair, get comfy, get your favorite beverage and read what I’m about to share with you….

I assume you have heard by now that Facebook bought Instagram last week. I guess the reason behind it is because they saw it as kind of a threat in light of Pinterest’s recent growth.

When you think about it, the web is going more and more to VISUAL and although Pinterest is still dwarfed by Facebook, with its record-breaking growth to 10 million there is no telling where it will go. So yeah, I could see where Facebook would feel threatened.

Right now, at the time I am writing this, Pinterest is at a virtual tie for second place with Twitter where website referral traffic is concerned.

Here are some stats you may find very interesting…

- 80% of Pinterest users have it connected to Facebook.

- The average Pinterest user spends 89 minutes per month on the site, compared to 21 minutes for the average Twitter user.

Pinterest can definitely help you increase traffic back to your website, improve your social growth, increase sales as well as help with your search engine ranking.

The Psychology of Pinterest

You might think…I can share my images on Facebook why do I need Pinterest?

That’s very true! But both these social networks are very different. On Facebook it is more about who you are, who you know and where you are. Whereas on Pinterest it is more about, who you want to be, who you want to know and where you want to be.  Kind of like a Vision Board. It’s more about “dreaming” than about “reality.”

Right now Pinterest is dominated by women which is not surprising. Women are decision-makers and influencers. They know what their family’s needs are. Just go to any woman’s pin board and you’ll find pins on clothes, furniture, gardening stuff, recipes, toys for the kids, you name it. But the gents are catching on to the power of Pinterest.

Pinterest is less about creating your own stuff and more about sharing and that’s the reason that 80% or more of the pins are re-pinned. (Re-pinning is really what drives the action on Pinterest.) Compare that to only 5% of tweets being re-tweeted and you can clearly see the power of Pinterest. It’s really VIRAL!

Respecting People’s Intellectual Rights and Protecting Your Own

To stay engaged you’ve got to do a lot of re-pinning, but please respect people’s intellectual rights and give proper credit. At the same token, when you share your own images make sure you add a watermark or other identification to let people know this is YOUR image and you’re not giving up your intellectual rights.

I hadn’t even thought of doing this in the past, but then I got smart.  (It takes some people a little longer.) For one I thought, if I spend time creating my own images of course I wouldn’t like for someone to come along and claim them as their own. The other reason I started to put a watermark or URL on my images is to lead people back to my website. I also just created a new Fan Page just for inspirational quotes. So come by and “Like” it and feel free to comment and share the images.

How Can I Use Pinterest for Marketing?

I wrote a blog post on this subject already so please go to “How Pinterest Can Help You Get More Blog Traffic.”

Use striking images on your site or blog. If you are not using images on your blog yet I would highly recommend you start now, so people can pin them. Use images that make an impact or statement, are colorful and eye-catching. People only have a split second to catch your image as they are scrolling down viewing other people’s pins.

Eye-catching Pinterest Pin

Use a PinIt button. Use a PinIt button in your browser to easily pin images to your boards. Also make sure you prominently display a PinIt button on your blog or site so people can pin your content. (You can get both the PinIt bookmarklet and the PinIt button for your blog or site right there at Pinterest.com)

Now if you don’t want to share your images at all, you can get a code from the Pinterest website to put on your site or blog that prohibits people to pin your images. Especially if you are a content creator you want to protect yourself.

Since this post is getting quite long already I will cut it into two parts. So stay tuned for Part Two in which I will share….How to Strategize Pinterest for Maximum Success! (Look for it on Friday.)

ATTENTION: Pinterest is still in Beta so you will have to request an invite to join the fun. You can ask your friends on Facebook who have a Pinterest account to send you an invitation. (If we’re friends then let me know.)

You know how much I love your feedback so please make some noise in the comments below. Thanks!

To Your Maximum Success!

The Enlightened Networker

Bookmark and Share

facebook comments:

Comments (34)

Loved the post Ilka!

You are so right about Pinterest really going viral whenever you pin up something different, unique, and eye-catching!

I think the visual impact is tremendous, and I just get lost in the wonderful pins people put up that now I have almost scheduled 15-20 min a day just for Pinterest :)

I just liked your new fan-page and I think its going to do wonders, because you are so good with quotes and images :)

However, I do have a doubt about the images we can use on our blog where we want to add a watermark of link URL of our blog. Is it alright to use any image and add some effect or text to it and make it your own? (by adding watermark and link URL of our blog) Is there no issues regarding copyright or giving credit to the site or photographer from where you have taken the original image? Or do you need to use only the free images for this purpose, and where can you really find the free images to use? Most of the sites do ask for the credit to be given- so how does that work?

I know I asked a rather long series of question, but I know you would have the answers because your images are awesome, and so are the picture quotes you use so often. :)

Thanks so much for sharing all these wonderful things about Pinterest. I think there can nothing better as compared to the visual effect it has. :)

Looking forward to the second part :)
Harleena Singh invites you to read..Why are Grandparents Parenting Grandchildren?My Profile

Hi Harleena,

Thanks so much for your kind words about my new Fan Page and for liking it! I really appreciate it! (I just needed another outlet to let my creative juices flow. That’s how I unwind a lot of times. :) )

About the watermark issue…

Unfortunately you are not free to use just “any” image on the web. To be totally safe you have two options, 1) purchase royalty free stock images or take pictures with your camera, create your own with graphics software like Photoshop like I do. Or 2) go to Google images and get “creative commons” images.

Go to Google, click on “Images” (top left); enter search term then click on the little wheely thing (Options); ==>”Advance Search” and then go down to “usage rights” and filter “free to use share or modify.”

Another option for free images is go to sites where you can get free images and ask the owner if you are allowed to modify them. I wrote a blog post about where to get free images….

I know a lot of people just “pirate” images without realizing that there is a copyright issue. Pinterest will have to make some changes concerning copyrights in the future or it will follow the path of Napster. Right now it’s still the “Wild Wild West.” Anything goes :)

I hope this helps you, Harleena.

Thank you so much for your valuable question! This will help a lot of my readers. So I truly appreciate it.

Have a blessed day!

Ilka

P.S. Of course you should protect any images you create yourself with a watermark or URL.

Harleena Singh from Freelance Writer
Reply:

I am sure the new Fan page is going to really rock! I can already sense that :)

Thanks so much for explaining things in detail Ilka. Yes, I do use the Google Advanced Search option as you mentioned, though those images open to sites that do say that there may be copyright issues. And contacting people to seek permission takes ages. Even the images on Flickr or the creative commons one do ask for credit.

I did read that post you had earlier written on the images, thanks for that :) I think I will look up some more of it and give Photoshop a try, which I used to do years back. :)

Thanks so much for sparing your time to explain things :)

Reply:

Oh, okay, I didn’t realize that copyright issue on Google Advanced Search. Guess it’s safest just to create your own.

If you already know Photoshop there are some awesome tutorials on Youtube. You can also find free backgrounds that you are free to use any way you want by doing a Google search.

As far as reasonable images…I use iStockphoto.com. They have a “Dollar Bin” where you can find great deals. I also just got a subscription on

after going through their 7 day trial which lets you download 5 images per day for free. Great Deal! They also have very reasonable pay as you go pricing starting with 0.50 cents for an xsmall image. (Yes, this is my affiliate link :) )

Hope this helps.

Looking forward to your creations :)

Ilka

Killer content as always, Ilka! Thanks.

BTW, I got my sweetie here. We will be married Saturday. Finally – Five year effort to get her here.

Regards,

Tim
Tim Singleton invites you to read..Jet LagMy Profile

Hey Tim,

Missed ya, buddy! Glad you are back ….and congratulations on your upcoming wedding! You must be so excited :)

Wishing you both a lifetime of beautiful tomorrows!

Hi Ilka,

thanks for sharing your insights about Pinterest. As I am a man, I can see its potential but haven’t quite found the groove yet. One thing that caught my attention is: How do I add a url to my photos ?

I will certainly be there more often and repin stuff !

Can’t wait to get my hands onto part 2 !

Be blessed

Oliver
Oliver Tausend invites you to read..The Social Networking FlawMy Profile

Hi Oliver,

You’ll find your groove, I’m sure of it :)

As far as adding a URL to your photos….I use Photoshop. But you can do the same thing with Gimp which is free. (http://getgimp.com). There are tutorials on Youtube on how to create a watermark with Gimp.

Hope that helps you.

Have an awesome night!

Hi Ilka,

I am not surprised that Facebook is threatened by Pinterest. While FB has much to offer that Pinterest does not, Pinterest is a really fun place to hang out and has a lot to offer that FB does not.

It’s grabbing the attention of a lot of people in a lot of different niches.

Thank you for sharing!
Stacy
Stacy invites you to read..Pin Your Posts Automatically!My Profile

Hi Stacy,

I agree…I’m not surprised either. They are two different animals though, but I’m sure Pinterest has more cool features up their sleeve to give Facebook a run for the money.

Pinterest is a fantastic marketing tool…and it’s FREE!

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback, Stacy! Always great to see you here :)

Hi Ilka,

Thank your for giving us some light about Pinterest.

At first I created a few boards and then I deleted most of them, because I read about the scary warnings that pinterest has about using photos that you don’t own, etc…

Now I am much more careful about that and start posting on Pinterest again, because I can see that this thing is going to be big.

Thanks for this Ilka and I’ll be waiting for part 2 :)
Sylviane Nuccio invites you to read..How to Turn a Browser Into a Reader – Part OneMy Profile

Hi Sylviane,

Gosh, you sound like me, I too get scared easy by all that legal mumbojumbo. But at the same token, it’s better to take action and ask forgiveness later :)

Glad you decided to give Pinterest another try. Make sure to connect with me if you haven’t already.

Have an awesome day!

Hi Ilka
I keep hearing and reading about Pinterest all over these days but have not ventured there myself as yet but after reading your post I think I am going to give it a go and see how I like it!
If it will help my business and to gain more traffic then it can only be good so thanks for sharing, I will be waiting for part 2 :)
Have a great day
Pauline
P.S I have liked your new page it looks so good!
Pauline invites you to read..Is The Art of eBook Creation Lost Forever?My Profile

Hi Pauline,

You are missing out not using it. In part two I will reveal how to funnel traffic to your website. So stay tuned :)

In the meantime, have an awesome day!

[Reply]

Great intro to Pinterest. I’m starting to get the hang of it now.
It’s the only social network I’ve joined where people actually shared my stuff before I shared theirs first. =D
Nicko Gibson invites you to read..Geek vs. Hipster: What’s the Difference?My Profile

Hi Nicko,

Same thing happened to me a couple of times. Isn’t that a cool problem to have?

See you over there!

[Reply]

I am a fan of Pinterest and it brings back a whole lot of traffic towards my blog. But you know what? I am on Pinterest because I love the time spent there, not for the traffic it brings to my blog. Excellent post Ilka, keep writing awesome posts like this!
Dr Kavita Shaikh invites you to read..Pinterest Riddle Finally Solved with Bonus Gift for My ReadersMy Profile

Hi Dr. Kavita,

Good for you! I’m glad you get a lot of traffic from Pinterest. I love your attitude…gives true meaning to the saying …”Do what you love and the money will follow.”

…And, I’ll do my best.

In the meantime, have a lovely rest of the week!

[Reply]

Funny, I just got on pinterest for the first time today.

I’m guna be honest.

I don’t get it. lol

Maybe I’ll have to spend a little more time on there.

Anyway thanks for an interesting post, I look forward to reading part 2.
Micah invites you to read..How to Promote Your Blog: 10 Easy Ways That Work Like Hell (AKA get out of the shower)My Profile

Hi Micah,

I noticed :) …and I got an email that you are following me, thanks! I was trying to follow you back but the email, didn’t connect back to Pinterest. (Some bug.) Will try again tomorrow.

In the meantime, have fun there!

[Reply]

very interesting post i really enjoyed reading it and learning more about pinterest thank you for the share.
Andrew invites you to read..Twitter Spam Campaign Infects Users with Fake Antivirus ProgramsMy Profile

Hi Andrew,

Glad you liked it. So, are you thinking about opening an account on Pinterest or are you already there?

Cheers,

Hi Ilka,

I’ve only been using Pinterest for a short while and then I only joined it to help promote everyone that was taking part in the video blog challenge.

I’ve now created a few more boards and I’m getting new followers on a regular basis but am still to see it appear in my traffic stats.

One thing I have noticed a lot of is people creating loads of boards, all keyword rich yet they haven’t added any images at all.

I think its a good idea to watermark the images and will bear that in mind.

Thanks for the tips Ilka

Barry
Barry Wells invites you to read..Being Honest In Your Dealings and InformationMy Profile

Hi Barry,

I guess it will take a little bit of time to see it appear in the traffic stats, but I’m sure it will eventually if you pin regularily.

By the way, I have noticed the same thing, empty keyword-rich boards. Don’t know what people are thinking. Maybe they are waiting for images to magically appear? :)

Watermarks are definitely beneficial because people “borrow” images all over the place…and not only on Pinterest. It happens on Facebook too :)

Thanks so much for stopping by and adding more value to the conversation! I appreciate it.

[Reply]

I’m so glad you were on that webinar Ilka because I really do need to learn more about how to use it to my advantage. I can’t keep up with all these sites I’ll be honest with you.

Having to learn the newest and latest craze is time consuming and I have enough to do as it is.

I’ll definitely look forward to part two also. Can’t wait.

~Adrienne
Adrienne invites you to read..Blogging Community To The RescueMy Profile

Hi Adrienne,

I am so glad too. Learned a ton. And you know me, I always have to share what I learned.

I’m like you, I find it hard to keep up with all the social sites…and their constant changes. However, I also don’t want to be left behind. So I have my primary focus and the others are kind of on a back burner…but still not forgotten.

By the way, I just published part two. It’s loaded with great stuff :)

Cheers and have an awesome day!

[Reply]

I love pinterest. I don’t have it connected up to my facebook page, that something I need to look at! I have found it really interesting, as I have been added as admin to a couple of other organisations. So you pin on their behalf under a banner of ‘geek’ for example. It’s been great fun sipping how we all interpret it. Great way of collating idea too.Thanks for the post :)

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to my blog, it’s great to meet you! And I LOVE you profile picture :)

I’m glad to hear that you have so much fun over at Pinterest. It’s only going to get better. I think it’s especially attractive for us ladies…watch out, it can really get addicting! :)

Hello Ilka

I have to admit I love browsing Pinterest. and it is about sharing your dreams.

Peter
Peter Fuller MBA invites you to read..What You Are Doing Today Will Affect Your Retirement FreedomMy Profile

Hi Peter,

You hit it right on…”it is about sharing your dreams.”

Looking forward to checking out some of yours.

Hi, Ilka,

Thank you so much to have covered this HOT topic.

I am afraid I have a long way to go before I actually take on this one. Thanks for your tips that you share with Oliver Trausend’s about how the put the url onto the photo.

Have a great day!

Viola Tam
Viola Tam invites you to read..Natural Selling – Discovery QuestionsMy Profile

Hi Viola,

Woops, you fell through the cracks. I apologize!

Hey, we all work within our own time frame. Whenever you are ready, I know you will have a blast. I totally understand that it is hard to keep up these days. Who knows what new shiny toy they will come up with tomorrow :)

Have a great weekend, Viola!

[Reply]

Hey Ilka I found you on Oliver Trausend’s blog ,thought I would come and take a look at your work…Impressed:)

Anyway love this article , just taking a look at Pinterest and thinking about using it…

I think that your article 1 has saved me loads of time so I am going to take a look at article#2 ….

All the best Graham Iwill be back
Graham invites you to read..Branding Yourself for MLMMy Profile

Hi Graham,

Glad you found my blog via Oliver. He is a terrific person and very knowledgeable in his/our field. Welcome and it’s a pleasure to meet you!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m happy I was able to make you curious enough about Pinterest to go get more info on my follow up article.

Make sure you connect with me over there and happy pinning!

All the best,